*

*

*

JOIN Skattie, what are you wearing?'s FACEBOOK FRIENDS

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

THE WEEKEND IN 3 PARTS

PART 1 ///ATHI-PATRA RUGA
for those of y'all that didn't know, last week was art week in Cape Town and there were openings like every evening, the art tart in me jizzed. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE. As Artweek came to a close, the Live Art Festival started on Friday, billed as a festival of Performances, Installations, Discussions, Screenings. It closes today by the way 4/Dec. Get your booty to www.gipca.uct.ac.za to find out more if you wanna catch the last evening. Anyway, on Saturday my partner and general shit hot performance artist Athi-Patra Ruga presented a new work, The Future White Women Of Azania, so we all gathered on the pavement outside his studio to watch.

there were other performances during the evening which i thoroughly enjoyed, but unfortunately i could not take pics without permission, but i did manage to steal this pic of Tebogo Munyai after his performance. I mean hello, how could i not?

PART 2 /// A BITJIE DANS
and then of course we went to EVOL for a bit of a sway sway. what's new?

PART 3 /// THE SHEBEEN
To finish off the week and get a bit of a chill, there was a gathering at my friend Unati's place. I posted about her summer shebeen evenings last year sometime. I'm glad to see they're back and they've grown. Now called Sophiatown Summerdaze. Sure Sophiatown as a fash ref is a bit 'meh' these days. Nkhensani punished it in her day. but as a party, performance, urban shebeen theme it made for an excellent party vibe and Masello's performance was kickass. I'm so chuffed with my friends Unati, Mazwi and Tracy. Well done guys.
LASTLY A BIT OF A RAMBLE. IT WOULDN'T BE SKATTIE WITHOUT ONE SO BEAR WITH ME:

So, after a shitload of internet based self diagnosis, the results are in, I am what some call a high functioning alcoholic, alcoholic nonetheless. I’m sure some of you are like “I coulda told you that for free”. Well you didn’t bitch, so uhmmm…fuck u. So as a result I have decided to give sobriety one last “everything I got” try, and I ain’t farking around this time. Probably should be a slightly more private situation but along with the abovementioned condition I also suffer from a type of exhibitionism, can’t fucking keep my dirty laundry in the basket. Anyway, since I’ve shared so many drunken stories with you, I might as well start sharing the story of my sobriety as well, so please just deal. Quietly. Who the fuck knows, perhaps it’ll serve as extra motivation to stay clean, which i plan to do for a very very very long time. So far so good, day 8 and I have been to several parties and events, I have experimented with non-alcoholic beer, I have danced till near sunrise whilst dead sober and I have had so much fucking fun. It turns out my love for the party was not just about the booze after all, I really do love a patsy, let’s never stop.

8 comments:

  1. you rock.love your stuff...all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you forgot to mention that we got waterbombed outside Athi's studio... that actually really was fun though... hehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. all the best on your quest on staying sober.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes another NEVER disappointing post Mali! I laughed hard and i can't believe i missed out on the Sunday chill Shebeen vibes. but next time. I can not wait to see you! Listen, you need to carry on writing the way you do on this blog, nothing as intriguing as your writing, so raw and real, i bet you do not edit these post coz you just write :)
    I also need to do gyn sessions with you. I do not know how i will be without you not drinking, this hurts me. So Skattie i think drinking to a limit would be perfect for me. No compious amounts.
    Love you always... Siki Msuseni

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys look like a lot of fun. we should hang, when i come to SA.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails