*

*

*

JOIN Skattie, what are you wearing?'s FACEBOOK FRIENDS

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

STR.CRD EVENT @ JOZI'S MABONENG PRECINCT

In between all the bubbly sipping (read guzzling) at SA Fashion Week  I got to spend a little bit of time at the  STR.CRD event that was happening in Jozi's Maboneng Precinct. Too much fun, follow the link to check out the website. Then hit google to find more blogs with images from the event. There were so many cameras going off i suspect it will be well-blogged about, it really was such a cool event. The experience reminded me of how much i enjoyed living in inner-city Jozi and how much I love the company of people who embrace it flaws and all, and how amazingly easy it is to get a 750ml bottle of beer at the oddest hours. Halfway through my stay in Jozi back in 08 I moved out of the city centre to Troyeville, which is just outside the city centre. Ja, we had some fucked up romantic notions, not to mention seriously naive about the residential mixing of LSM groups. At any given hour morning or night we could knock on the neighbour's window to buy those 750ml bottles. It was fun for a while until some randoms broke into our house on the eve of heritage day, then again a month later, then again two months later. I must confess though, we were a bit light and boho on security. Doors were often left unlocked, and there was not one burglar bar in the house. By the time we moved, our remaining belongings could fit easily into my small car. Shit, I sound like those people who can't speak of Jozi without speaking of crime, my gawd I've really become the worst kind of Capetonian.  Anyway, for a split second this weekend i considered moving back, then i remembered the main reason i left. I'm a sucka for a beautiful landscape and for the beach. Ja sure i hardly ever go but i love knowing it's less than a 5 minute walk away from my bed. Besides, Cape Town really can't do with one less black person.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails